IHNSW is committed to maintaining the health, wellbeing and safety of all its participants. Safety is a top priority for those participating in the sport of hockey. IHNSW recognises the increased awareness of concussions and their potential short and long‐term effects.
The IHNSW Concussion policy is intended as a tool to assist in the recognition and management of those who have a concussion or are suspected of having a concussion, as a result of participation in IHNSW’s activities. It aims to ensure that players with a suspected concussion receive timely and appropriate care, to allow them to return to their sport safely.
This protocol may not address every possible clinical scenario that can occur during sport-related activities, but includes critical elements based on the latest evidence and current expert consensus. The overall premise is to treat suspected concussions conservatively and if in doubt, sit them out.
The guidelines are for players, coaches, on-ice officials, club officials and parents and should be understood and followed by all parties for the benefit and welfare of the players.
You can download the document in full by clicking the image above or following link:
- Full IHNSW Concussion Policy Doc – updated 23 March 2021
Please use the below menu to download any of the the IHNSW Concussion Policy Appendices individually:
- Appendix 1 – Concussion Code of Conduct
- Appendix 2 – Head Injury Fact Sheet
- Appendix 3 – Concussion Injury Management Workflow
- Appendix 4 – Step by Step Concussion Procedure Summary
- Appendix 5 – Graduated Return to Play Protocol
- Appendix 6 – Concussion Referral and Return Form (2 pages – online form available)
- Appendix 7 – Concussion Management Checklist – Player
- Appendix 8 – Concussion Management Checklist – Club/Team